The Sound Waves South West Music & Music Therapy Trust was registered in 2000 as an independent charity. Its aims are:
- To provide Music Therapy within the SWSW catchment area with State Registered Music Therapists
- To assist each Music Therapist joining the SWSW team to establish their own practice independent of the charity
- To promote and encourage further understanding of Music Therapy
- To provide the free loan of an orchestral instrument to school children receiving tuition within the SWSW catchment area
- To run professional music workshops in local schools giving the children the opportunity to experience music of cultural diversity
In 2005, the Charity’s Chairman, Judyth Gwynne was awarded the Beacon Fellowship in recognition of her work in the community in the category “Community Builder”.